Monday 18 March 2013

A Night at the Theatre

As I have very little in the way of a life, you may be surprised to hear that I went out this evening; and as I decided to write a blog post about it this evening, indeed an hour after getting home, you can see I haven't deviated far from my usual level of sophistication.
Tonight I went to see the London Swing Orchestra with my friend Alex - who was impeccably dressed as always - at the Theatre Royal in Windsor. The theatre itself is very beautiful and deceptively small, and the building itself, along with the history of theatre in Windsor and Eton, which you can read about here. The building that you can see below (unfortunately not my photograph) was completed in 1910 and was opened that December. It (only just) survived talkies coming into fashion and a variety of things, but is still here and more popular than ever.
The London Swing Orchestra (formerly Graham Dalby and the Grahamophones) were absolutely brilliant, and the worst bit of the night was not being able to get up and dance, which was lamentable indeed! They played us through a whistle-stop tour of the history of swing from the turn of the 20th century from Benny Goodman to Nat King Cole, Irving Berlin, Glenn Miller and Frank Sinatra.
I went for a... sort of forties-fifties look, although I don't really know what it resembles... As always my bedroom is in a sorry state. It'll be cleaned up nicely soon - once I've written all of my letters and sorted through the mountains of records - so you'll have to excuse its rather dishevelled appearance.
Blouse/top: Topshop hand-me-down
Jumper: charity shop (originally Edinburgh Woolen Mill)
Skirt: charity shop (part of a set I bought last week that I'm not sure if I love or hate)
(And if you're feeling particularly intimate - and if not, shield your eyes! - my lingerie is all from WhatKatieDid)

And last but not least, I'm sure you're dying to hear what the LSO sounded like, so here are a couple of pieces, the Tiger Rag, and 'Jeeves and Wooster' from their CD:





Hope you all had a fantastic weekend celebrating the Welsh rugby win and St. Patrick's Day, and aren't dreading the return of the Monday morning too much.
Jess xx

1 comment:

  1. As usual your outfit is great. I've nominated you for The Versatile Blogger Award! The details are here on my blog http://idratherstayinbed.blogspot.com/2013/03/the-versatile-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete